BTIG Reaffirms PIER 1 IMPORTS (PIR) at 'Sell'; Sees Little Catalyst from Alden Global Capital Stake
- Donald Trump Sworn in as 45th U.S. President
- Wall Street ends higher as Trump becomes president
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Said to Face Antitrust Concern for Rite Aid (RAD) Fix - Bloomberg
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Says It Won't Pursue Accelerated U.S. Regulatory Pathway for Opdivo Plus Yervoy in Lung Cancer
- Apple (AAPL) Sues Qualcomm (QCOM) Over Patent Royalties in Antitrust Case - Bloomberg
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
BTIG maintains a Sell rating and $3.50 price target on PIER 1 IMPORTS (NYSE: PIR) after Alden Global Capital reported holding a 9.5 percent stake in the retailer.
Analyst Alan Rifkin commented,
we do not believe this development changes the deteriorating fundamentals and intensely competitive environment that underpin our thesis.
Rifkin noted deteriorating fundamentals and uncertainty in e-commerce as key points of the firm's Sell rating:
We urge investors to focus on the fundamentals of PIR which continue to deteriorate, even as the company grows its e-commerce business significantly. We project that e-commerce will represent 20-22% of annual revenues at year-end 2016 – a significant increase considering the initiative is only about four years old. We project 2016 FY EPS of $0.09, with EBIT margin of 1.3% compared to 2012 FY EPS of $1.20 and EBIT margin of 11.5% -- when PIR 1 had no e-commerce presence. We believe that as Pier 1 has grown its e-commerce business, its once unique assortment of merchandise has now become ubiquitous as pricing transparency is easier today than ever before. We do not believe there are any strategic parties interested in acquiring PIR.
We remain concerned that e-comm revenues, now 20% of sales, is increasingly dilutive to EBIT margin. We have questioned for years the breakeven point of $200MM. With e-comm today at a run-rate of $375-400MM, there is no clear path to profitability for this channel.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- TAC Capital Files 13D on Bravo Brio Restaurant (BBRG); Adam Nominates 3 to Board
- PacWest Bancorp (PACW) PT Raised to $60.50 at FIG Partners Following 4Q Report
- Bassett Furniture (BSET) PT Raised to $28 at Stifel Following 4Q EPS Beat
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories13Ds, Analyst Comments, Hedge Funds
Related EntitiesAlden Global Capital, BTIG
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!