Alden Global Capital LLC Shows New 9.5% Stake in PIER 1 IMPORTS, Inc. (PIR) - 13D
- Wall Street rises, buoyed by economic data; Dow sets high
- Twitter (TWTR) 'Takeover Money' Moves On as 'Trump Money' Moves In
- Amazon (AMZN) Could Open Over 2,000 Brick-and Mortar Groceries if Tests Succeed - DJ; Kroger (KR) on Watch
- Buy Any Seasonal Market Weakness Ahead of Year End Rally - Oppenheimer (SPY)
- After-Hours Stock Movers 12/05: (TXMD) (COUP) (BOBE) Higher; (SB) (LXRX) (STWD) Lower (more...)
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
In a 13D filing on PIER 1 IMPORTS, Inc. (NYSE: PIR), hedge fund Alden Global Capital LLC disclosed a 9.5%, or 7,913,500 share, stake in the company. The firm did not hold shares at the end of the latest quarter ending June 30, 2016.
Item 4. Purpose of Transaction.
The Reporting Persons purchased the Shares based on the Reporting Persons’ belief that the Shares, when purchased, were undervalued and represented an attractive investment opportunity. Depending upon overall market conditions, other investment opportunities available to the Reporting Persons, and the availability of Shares at prices that would make the purchase or sale of Shares desirable, the Reporting Persons may endeavor to increase or decrease their position in the Issuer through, among other things, the purchase or sale of Shares on the open market or in private transactions or otherwise, on such terms and at such times as the Reporting Persons may deem advisable.
On September 7, 2016, the Issuer announced that President and CEO Alex W. Smith will step down as President, CEO and a member of the Issuer’s Board of Directors (the “Board”), effective December 31, 2016, and that the Issuer is conducting a search for a new CEO. Also on September 7, 2016, the Issuer announced disappointing preliminary second quarter financial results. Following these developments, the Reporting Persons engaged, and intend to continue to engage, in communications with management and the Board regarding certain matters, including the Issuer’s recent operational performance, shareholder representation on the Board and the CEO search process. The Reporting Persons believe that the Issuer is at a critical juncture and look forward to a constructive dialogue with management and the Board and are hopeful that the Board will voluntarily take appropriate action to address the concerns raised by the Reporting Persons.
For more notable holders of PIER 1 IMPORTS, Inc. stock click here.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- PPL Corp. (PPL) to Reiterate 2016 Earnings Guidance at Upcoming Analyst/Investor Meetings
- Kinder Morgan (KMI) Sees FY17 Distributable Cash Flow of $4.46B
- Options with increasing volume: ABY NKTR PEIX SPA NVS RUTH AIRM BTI NBR
Create E-mail Alert Related Categories13Ds, Hedge Funds, Hot Hedge Fund News, Trader Talk
Related Entities13D, Earnings, Alden Global Capital
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!